Monday, October 22, 2012

Of saving money and spending a bit of it too:]

OH, it has been so long since I have taken the chance to write this blog...between coffee deliveries, family in town, cleaning, cooking, garden duties, I could go on and on...but finally...as Leenah sits on her potty, taking her morning duty and reading her little Bible, I decided HEY, I can't wait to share some closed loop cycles I have found for the house among my DUTIES! hehe Besides enjoying some different recipes, which I will have to share later, I am super excited to share some silly things I have discovered, will help us save money! First of all...tissues...who needs 'em? Besides visitors and hubby? Hubby just wanted me to get rid of an abundance of white socks because he has slowly been getting himself nice wool socks...so after being OH so tired of buying cardboard tissue boxes IN plastic at Sam's Club, and tired of paying $20 bucks every few months for 'em. I decided to try the socks in place of tissues...Leenah just happend to have horrible allergies the week I started this "experiment", and those allergies, I seemed to have the next day, so we went through like 40 socks in two days! I just washed 'em with the rest of the laundry, and they were fine...they felt BETTER than the paper too! I loved it, AND, I am still using the cardboard tissue box to keep the socks in. Even though hubby is not convinced and thinks I am extra crunchy, I am very proud of myself, and I am sure he will eventually;] join in on blowing on a sock soon enough;] hehe. OK, so there is the 1st closed loop life cycle for a household need. What is the next? Well, since I have been making our laundry soap, I have been enjoying using Ivory soap bars...shredding them and combining them with baking soda and borax (though I am moving away from Borax, now realizing it IS quite toxic, and it's one less thing I want to keep in the house!) And, since I have switched our bathrooms from liquid soap, to bar soap, once the bar soap is super tiny, instead of throwing it away, I stick it in a baggie, and once I have enough little pieces of those soap bars, I will shred them and make them into laundry soap! WAL-A, another closed loop life-cycle where NOTHing will be thrown away!! yea!!
I had a third, but what do you know, I can't think of it right now, will have to add it along with a recipe with the next bloggy. BUT, I do want to share some of the plastic free items we will be investing in within the next few weeks. The nice part about this is that Beau is SUPER excited about these items because they are stainless steel and look very "cool" to him. They are a 3 tiered Tiffin Box of stainless steel for his lunches (I am excited about this!) And stainless steel ICE CUBES! hehe. And....stainless steel straws...will also be purchasing some stainless steel silverware to carry in my purse, or in his tiffin box, along with the steel straws, to use when we are out and about, as well as for the random picnic or hiking trip! It will be fun to just have it there so we don't have to use the plastic options. Want to know where I am getting all this super cool manly stainless steel? Here is the link! http://www.thetickletrunk.com/
Although, saddly, this is a Canadian company, NO American store is selling these stainless steel options as of yet...the other exciting thing, is that they also carry glass and stainless steel air tight containers, and all stainless steel storage bowls for food. Again, Beau is super excited to slowly start getting these over the next year, into our kitchen, because he HATES my current plastic free set up of glass bowls and ceramic plates to store food in order to stay away from the PVC ladden plastic wrap...so at least we are moving in that direction together, of how to continue to slowly wipe plastic out of our kitchen and away from our food storage!
Ok, must go feed the duckies and make a kale salad for hubby's lunch! Talk to you all soon, very soon;]

1 comment:

  1. i actually found out borax is naturally occurring. There is nothing extra added to it!

    ReplyDelete